Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A little angry

Books are probably one of my most prized possessions. Doesn't matter what type of book it is, the book is something that we should cherish because it was the origin of some of the knowledge we carry today. Basically you get my drift what I think of them. Today at work I had a student come up to me and show me a course reserve book that had pages ripped out of the book. I handle the course reserves at my job. Teachers place items on reserve for the students so that they can check them out, initially saving them the money of purchasing the textbook. These days texts books get more and more expensive and students are unable to afford them. Anywho...over 10 pages of information was ripped out of the book. This infuriated me!! Like I said, it doesn't matter what type of book it is, that book is important. In this case, this is a text book that their fellow classmates use to work on their assignments. That is what we have the copiers for, you have to be joking me that a student does not have a dollar to be able to make those copies from the book. I just was in utter shock at the indecency that the student showed to the item WE or basically the TEACHERS provided for them. I am sure I am more upset in regards to the fact that this is someone else's item that had been basically vandalized but still to just rip out the pages in the book just ticked me off even more. I get a lot of books that are damaged and not taken care of. When I accidentally get water or something on a book, I go nuts! I hate that I did something to damage the quality of it. Its because I am responsible and own up to the fact that I did something wrong and hate that I did, even if it was just an accident. Are we that spoiled and selfish in society today that we don't take into consideration of others materials and possessions? 

Books should be respected and more and more children and into their teenage years are not being taught how to appreciate them. I get it...more and more items are being placed on e-readers and such, but still books exist! It shouldn't matter, and also just respect in general doesn't seem to be taught anymore either. I have always said that my children will read, and I hope I instill in them that it is fun, and that it wont necessarily be a forced thing. I want them to appreciate reading and the book itself. Probably by the time I have children, it will just all be ebooks..who knows, however I hope not. I will have my own mini-library and I want my children to enjoy it and respect them, and respect others personal items!!!

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I was just talking about this with one of my friends yesterday. It seems like people are less respectful of everything and everyone nowadays. What happened to holding the door open for someone? Or patiently waiting your turn? And to destroy library property like that! Course reserves aren't free; to rip one up is a really rude and selfish thing to do.

    -EFairall

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like our society has a diminishing regard for taking care its belongings. The attitude that everything is disposable seems to pervade. This is reflected in how we take care of our bodies and planet, too. I agree with you that it is a lack of respect. I believe that things are going to shift, though, and we are again going to value some of the more simple pleasures in life. Books included! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, let me say that as a fellow reading addict, I love your blog. You did such a good job decorating it and adding content. Secondly, I found myself getting upset about what happened with the damage to the book. I have seen what damage other patrons can inflict on books such as writting in them, wrinkling the pages and leaving food stains (EWWW), but I have never seen a book with that many pages torn out. It shows complete lack of respect for the written word and it horrible. I agree with your anger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a whole thing on respect! It goes with anything, and not just books! I thank you all for liking my blog. I want it to be something that we can relate to as library science students and just lovers of books! But yea, sadly this still angers me.I shouldnt let it bother me, but it does!

    ReplyDelete