Tuesday, April 10, 2012

National Library Week

April 8-14 is National Library Week.When I look at all the banners I notice that it is mostly geared towards public libraries. I am sure others are being mentioned, however I hope that we don't forget the many other different types of libraries that are out there.

Throughout my special libraries class I have learned about the different libraries that many may not realize exist. I remember seeing that there was an American Girl Co. Library and I about flailed thinking about it. Special libraries are essential towards running businesses! They are indeed an asset and during this week I feel that they should be recognized as well. ALL libraries should be recognized, academic, public, medical, law, the list goes on and on.

My volunteering and research of medical libraries have made me realize how essential they are to hospital organizations. In some situations, the articles that one librarian may find may speed up a patients healing process. There are clinical librarians that do the rounds with doctors, retrieving information face to face and not via email in the library. Its just become so fascinating to me and who wouldn't want to commemorate the librarians who work so hard at their field.

What I am basically saying is, realize that there are other libraries out there that deserve to be recognized for their efforts. Whether in a business, or helping the public, they are important and I personally believe vital!

No comments:

Post a Comment